Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are These Leggy? HELP!

Posted by MNnewbie Minnesota (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 21:55

Hello, newbie question here.

I started some plants from seed a couple of weeks ago in anticipation for spring to arrive up here in Minnesota. They're taking off, that's for sure! My only worry is that they're "leggy." I know this isn't good for some plants, but tomatoes can be transplanted up to their leaves. I'll attach photos of the tomatoes.

Thanks for your help!

Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are These Leggy? HELP!

Here are the Peppers

o

They are a little leggy, but they obviously just sprouted. a you get them under some lights right away?

Fluorescent shop lights about an inch from the tops of them, will set them in good order. There is lots of info on this forum about lighting set ups.

You are right on schedule for peppers, but you are a bit early for tomatoes. Peppers are slow growers, and should be healthy in pots under lights for 2-3 months. Tomatoes grow fast. Six weeks before planting out is the standard recommendation for starting time. Unless you are growing them under covers, the end of May is he earliest you want to plant either of those in zone 4.

o

They are a little leggy and the fact that they are all leaning in one direction implies they need a bit more light directly above them.

o

Agree with all the above. Not enough light and lights not nearly close enough.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here