Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished my first herb grow. Found at the soil smelled bad...

Posted by Keyboarg none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 22:00

at the end. This normal or bad? How can I prevent this from happening again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished my first herb grow. Found at the soil smelled bad...

Smelly soil generally means it is too wet and has gone anaerobic. Did your herbs actually grow in these conditions or are you describing the soil after sowing?

o

Agree that it indicates the growth of anaerobic bacteria and their by-products. That usually results from over-wet soil kept in a warm, low oxygen environment.

But to know for sure we'd at least need to know the brand of potting mix used - hopefully it wasn't actual soil (dirt). Some of the so-called "organic" potting mixes contain some ingredients (composted manures) that can smell quite bad when kept too wet but the odor goes away once it dries out well.

Dave

o

It was fox farms ocean something

o

Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil is generally regarded as a growing medium, not a seed starting medium. It contains earthworm castings and bat guano, among others things, that can easily go anaerobic if kept too wet. To prevent it in the future cut back on your watering substantially and increase the air circulation in the growing area with a small fan or such.

Dave

o

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here