Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants with different germination time

Posted by akeller420 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 22:08

I know that a heat source underneath the seeds need to be removed once they've germinated. If the plants differ between just a few days, will it hurt the ones that have already germinated to stay on the heat source for that amount of time? Even if they are the same plant but some germinate faster than others. Or, once the first once have germinated, do I remove the heat and let the rest germinate without it? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants with different germination time

The longer seedlings have heat, the more spindly they will grow. You can ameliorate this with a fan but IME, the rest of the seeds will germinate fine. I'm using horticubes for lots of plants this year and I remove the tray from heat once I see the first seed(s) sprout. But so far, I'm getting a germ rate above 95 percent for all the seeds.

YMMV!

Mike

o

I agree with Mike, I would leave them on the heat for another week or so, after that, I would take them off if they all arent up yet.

Just remember to take off the humidity dome if you are using one, after the first one germinates.

Keriann~

o

Thanks for the tips guys. Heat Matt and Thermostat ordered, 2 fluorescent fixtures ready to go, and will be starting my seedlings soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here