Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akeller420

Plants with different germination time

akeller420
13 years ago

I know that a heat source underneath the seeds need to be removed once they've germinated. If the plants differ between just a few days, will it hurt the ones that have already germinated to stay on the heat source for that amount of time? Even if they are the same plant but some germinate faster than others. Or, once the first once have germinated, do I remove the heat and let the rest germinate without it? Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

The longer seedlings have heat, the more spindly they will grow. You can ameliorate this with a fan but IME, the rest of the seeds will germinate fine. I'm using horticubes for lots of plants this year and I remove the tray from heat once I see the first seed(s) sprout. But so far, I'm getting a germ rate above 95 percent for all the seeds.

YMMV!

Mike

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I agree with Mike, I would leave them on the heat for another week or so, after that, I would take them off if they all arent up yet.

Just remember to take off the humidity dome if you are using one, after the first one germinates.

Keriann~

• connecticutbug
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. Heat Matt and Thermostat ordered, 2 fluorescent fixtures ready to go, and will be starting my seedlings soon!