Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timm7777

Growing from seed

Timm7777
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I think I give my plants too much TLC. Can someone help me with why my seedlings because they won't grow. I got a heat mat and they came up from seed no probem. Then once the first true leafs started they stoped growing. I thought it was light in the first batch, however, I now have a led 300w grow light 1 1/2 feet away, and still not growing. I started to notice white dampness no the roots of the plants, so I got a small fan for circulation. I also added worm tea, hence, the cattapillars started eating the plants. I am now only using seaweed solution that is a rich mix to get them back.

They are growing just slow.

Does anyone have any ideas. 7 weeds old now.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hopefully you removed them from the heat mat as soon as they sprouted? It is only used to germinate. If left on the heat it cooks the roots.

White molds/fungi is a symptom of over-watering. And they look like they need to be transplanted into individual deeper containers. Appears to be shallow soil in that container.

As to all the feeding - please don't. They don't need it and don't like it It only stresses them. Once transplanted and well recovered and growing well then a very weak, well diluted to 1/4 strength feeding once every 7-10 days of a balanced fertilizer is more than enough.

Don't know what you mean by "caterpillars"? Why would they get those from worm tea?

Be sure to check out the FAQs here for more how-to details.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

• Timm7777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice. Who know about the caterpillars. They came from the home made worm tea. I had all sorts of creepy crawies coming out. Another area that probable needs some work.

Regards,

Tim

• Danielle1988
    11 years ago

Hi Tim,

Definitely remove the heat mat after they sprout as Dave said. I would hold off on using your home made worm castings, you are inadvertently adding insects and possible disease to your seedling environment. Also if you are using a Dome to keep in humidity remove that as soon as your seeds have sprouted.

What seeds are you growing?

Danielle

• Timm7777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Danielle,

I am growing broccoli and cauliflower seedlings. Regards to the first two leafs going brown. I though it was the result of dampening off. As the base stem started to go white. But after I added a fan the first leafs didn't bounce back. I am now wondering if the led lights might have been too close first up.

Regards,
    tim

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

Start over with fresh, bagged seed starting mix. Keep plants in separate cells to begin with. Water from the bottom and don't feed till they get some leaves (follow Dave's info above). Don't add anything but water. Remove from heat after germination.

Set the lights about an inch away from plants and don't cover them. Too much love isn't what they need. lol.

This post was edited by susanzone5 on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:18