Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_love_flowers

green fungus/mold on soil

i_love_flowers
18 years ago

I'm new here and have a question I hope someone can help me with. Every year I have the same problem when I start my seeds. I get this green mold or fungus like stuff that sometimes gets slimy, on top of my soil. I try not to keep them too wet but maybe I still am. I also have a fan going but usually not directly on the plants because I'm afraid this will dry them out too quickly. Should I let the fan blow directly on them?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would Chamomile tea added to the water help with the mold stuff?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Anissa

Comments (9)

• maineman
    18 years ago

Anissa,

I use a small painting knife as a tool to "cultivate" the green stuff under. And I do aim a small fan directly at the plants. The plants like the "exercise" and the improved air circulation dries the surface of the growing medium.

MM

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

I sometimes get this, and I think it is from overwatering in cold temperatures especially. Like this year I had my seeds starting next to an unused door, where it gets really cold. So I had algae. It didn't seem to hurt them, though.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Try to water from the bottom, in the tray, and pour the water off before the soil surface gets wet. Also, a layer of finely milled sphagnum moss on top of soil will inhibit algae and fungus growth.

• i_love_flowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Anissa

• skippy05
    18 years ago

A little peroxide on a q-tip could wipe off mold etc.
    (I have done this with no damage to seedlings)

• tracy8225
    18 years ago

This was a common experience in a greenhouse I worked in and it is from over watering and humidity. My boss was famous for over watering and if left it will hurt the plants because it will take all the water and won't get to the roots. we also found that the base of the small plants that the green touches eventually becomes damaged. I would take a popsicle stick wipe off and add fresh soil to the top and allow to dry the remaining soil.

• millerds_direct_ca
    13 years ago

I just googled this question and came up with your responses which I really appreciate. I'm off to my green house to direct my fan at my plants at least so they get a bit of wind. I'll stop worrying about the green stuff and water less. Thank you.

• sarah_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

i just stumbled across this from google. Very interesting, but mine are at the bottom of my pots of growing plants. They're about 2 months old now or more, I don't really know. Just thought I'd try growing some veges on my bit of balcony space from some seeds I kept... But it seems i don't have to worry too much about it??

• uharugger
    9 years ago

I just discovered this problem today after my LED lights turned off and I turned the white light on. I am going to try just wiping it off the surface. I noticed that it's only on my older seedlings that I need to repot. I am adding better ventilation to my little greenhouse, so hopefully this will help. Thanks for the suggestions.