Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wait for all to germinate?

Posted by lovegardening84 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 22:24

Hello
I am growing a variety of flowers in two 36 cell containers with the dome lids on heat mats. Half have successfully germinated in a mere 48 hrs. and I know I should be removing the lids for air circulation etc. and getting them under lights, but what about the seeds that have not germinated yet? Do I wait until they have all germinated? Will this sacrifice my new seedlings? Thanks for your wisdom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wait for all to germinate?

Remove the cover completely, or at least from the ones that have sprouted, when the first ones germinate. Mist the remaining ones if needed but they will normally germinate shortly or wouldn't have anyway.

Leaving the cover on risks the ones that have already germinated. One reason why mixing varieties of plants in the same tray should be avoided.

It's the old "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" philosophy. :)

Dave

o

Thanks Dave I will do so right away! Ps I always enjoy reading ur responses to posts...u always have a weath of knowledge on everything!

o

Hi lovegardening,

Just to add to what Dave has said, the cells are usually perforated to make separating easy. Could you separate the seedlings, from the others, so they could be placed under the lights?

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here