Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feethanddooth

first time growing from seed

feethanddooth
14 years ago

picked up a seed starting kit. but am not using the burpee potting mix "discs". got an organic seed potting mix instead. am doing 72 pods in total but to ensure i hopefully get one of each plant i did 6 pods of each of my 12 seed choices.

so i obviously have some questions. already know the basics of getting the seeds into the pods. already have them covered up and see the humidity in the "greenhouse".

questions,

1. do i NEED to heat the seeds before they germinate? room temp is normally 62-67 in my house.

2. i do not have a direct sunlight area inside. i do get some direct sunlight but it is not in one consistent place all day. so i would have to sit there and move the pods throughout the whole day to keep them in direct light.

so, which light is good for a $40 price range? and, do i even need it?

3. can i use a mister do water? i had a tough time using my garden watering can earlier.

thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I would search each of our questions first, in this forum, and then re-post if you cannot find answers.
    There are hundreds of posts on each of your questions.

Keriann~

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

In addition to all sorts of great discussions here on your questions there is also a great set of FAQs here which address them. It is the blue button on the front page but I linked them for you below.

But basically the answer to your first 2 questions is yes. #3 answer is that misting creates problems. Bottom watering is best IMO but if you can't do that then a small watering can or even a glass can be used.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

• hank2230
    14 years ago

Hi, love your user name but what is a feeth and dooth? LOL. This is the system I use. It is a 15' strand of rope lights (bought at any Target store) that I lay in the bottom a growing tub, just lay on the bottom and wind back and forth and it generates 70+ degrees F. It is insulated to protect the lights from dampness/moisture that might collect. I use Kitty Litter for my "sand" and fill the tub about 3" deep over the lights. My lights are 2, 4 foot GE T8 daylight 32, 2700 lumens, color temperature 6500. I had never grown seeds before so I planted 6 "Common Milkweed" in a "Promise" tub March 9th and on Sunday, March 14 I had 5 nice little seedlings that are growin like weeds. The total cash out-lay was less than $40.00. Hope this helps.

• jimfnc
    14 years ago

I used the Burpee 72 pod ultimate kit (self watering tray). The Burpee disks you put warm water on worked very well for me - 70 out of 72 tomatoes, eggplant, peppers sprouted and are doing well. The self watering container worked fine. I don't have a heating mat - two lamps with standard 100 watt bulbs provided the heat for germination. Then $20 for a two bulb 4 foot fluorescent shop lite, with one standard bulb, one "daylight" bulb. The tomatoes are already transplanted to larger containers. Peppers & eggplant coming along fine. I used stack of books to prop the light a few inches over the sprouts.

• feethanddooth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

my co worker who does alot of home growing suggested the 4 foot light like you have.

going to home depot in a little while to price them out.

need to get it this weekend. my lettuce has sprouted!!!!