Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds and mulching

Posted by opie12 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 22:40

I am planning on mulching my garden this year with pine straw.....have never done this before. Do I plant the seeds and then mulch over them? (will they grow through the mulch?) or do I wait to mulch until the plants are coming up and big enough to tell what they are?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds and mulching

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 22:58

Don't mulch where you have sown seeds, it will prevent them from germinating.

o

I think it will depend on what seeds you are planning to seed. But I usually wait till everything is sort of up and growing before I mulch.
Sarah

o

IF your soil temps are high enough for germination and growth - you don't want to mulch until it is - you can mulch the whole thing, then pull the mulch 2-3" back from the rows where you will put the seeds, plant the seeds. Once the seedlings are 2-3" tall, slowly replace the mulch up to the sides of the row of plants.

Pine straw is a good mulch - we use it sometimes too - but it is acidic and it does take more time than other mulches to decompose so be sure to keep it away from direct contact with the stems of the plants so it won't bind up any nitrogen that they may need. OR you can layer on the pine straw and then add additional fertilizer by just scattering it over the mulch.

Dave

o

Thank you :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here