Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed flats

Posted by flavio Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 22:51

I have some plastic seed starting trays (see photo) which do not fit in the standard 1020 plastic flats. My trays are a little bigger than the 1020's. Is anyone aware of any plastic flats which would be just a little bigger than the 1020 flats which would allow me to sit my starting trays inside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed flats

You might want to try Greenhouse megastore and see if they have anything that would work for you.

o

Plug flats (what you have there) aren't normally used with trays. They are just dipped to water and then removed and left as is.

But there are some trays made for them - called watering trays or carrying trays - but they aren't inexpensive. Check Novosel Enterprises website and amaplas.com if interested.

Cheaper alternative is one of the Sterlite or Rubbermaid shallow closet storage bins sold at Walmart.

Dave

o

Thanks for your replies. Dave, just curious...What prevents the potting soil from coming out the bottom as the water drains from the plug flats? When the medium needs follow-up dipping's later it would seem that a little more of the medium would be drained out each time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here