Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhoneycutt_gw

Tomato seedlings....

bhoneycutt
12 years ago

So i sowed these from seed about a month ago and this is how they look. Is this normal or should they be a lot bigger by now? also color looks a little off to me but this is my first year growing from seed so who knows. I made a huge mistake and planted them in some ghetto generic potting soil which i think could be some of the cause coupled with cooler temps in my garage. Suggestions to salvage? Peppers and herbs seem to be doing fine.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/briandabest/IMG_20120312_210309.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/briandabest/IMG_20120312_210243.jpg

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

For month old seedlings they should be much further along so Yes, the odds are it is the potting mix. You said potting soil, correct? Soil-less potting mixes work best for germination. Soil mixes compact in small containers and prevent root development. To fix you just transplant them into a quality soil-less potting mix and they will take off.

They are also leggy which is a lighting problem but can be fixed if you will transplant them deeply - bury all that stem.

The peat pots is a whole other issue but they also contribute to the problems.

There is a great FAQ here with pics on "How to grow tomatoes from seed" you might want to check out.

Dave

• bhoneycutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah Im pretty sure I used this
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Earthgro-1-Cubic-Foot-Potting-Soil/16904048

Do you think it would be worthwhile to transplant or should I just restart from seed with a better mix (if I have enough time) or scrap it buy seedlings and try again next year?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

It is definitely worthwhile transplanting them as long as you transplant them deeply and use a decent mix. They will quickly catch up.

Ideally, pitch the peat pots too. You can switch to small plastic cups with hole put in the bottom of them if nothing else.

If you want to see some really great videos on how to grow them from seed check out Craig's videos on You Tube. Linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: nctomatoman videos

• bhoneycutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

alrighty thanks for the help. Im assuming by plastic cup you are referring to like the solo-esk cups? I had thought about using the mix that I used for my sfg (1/3 verm, 1/3 peat, 1/3 compost) but maybe I can find something at lowes or wally world that would work already mixed up and is soil-less.
    On the videos I had watched some of his videos a while ago the dense planting looked like something I might try next year :)

• bhoneycutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So this evening I transplanted taking your suggestions hopefully they will live. Any idea how long it might be before I know if they made it?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/briandabest/IMG_20120313_205903.jpg

• kevinitis
    12 years ago

Tomato seedlings are incredibly resilient. I had a mouse last year eat ALL the leaves off of two of my tomato plants just after planting. I thought they were a lost cause, but left them in the soil, more out of laziness than anything. After about a week or so they had sprouted new leaves everywhere.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

There are all kinds of sizes of plastic cups available. They range from small 3 oz to 6 oz to 9 oz to 12 oz to the big 16 oz size. That's why I mentioned "small" plastic cups. I sure hope those in your picture aren't the 16 oz big ones for those tiny little plants? If you have to use the big cups for some reason you only fill them 1/2 full and then add more as the plant grows. You put holes in the bottom, right?

I had thought about using the mix that I used for my sfg (1/3 verm, 1/3 peat, 1/3 compost) but maybe I can find something at lowes or wally world that would work already mixed up and is soil-less.

Seed starting is most successful with a sterile soil-less mix and both Lowes and Walmart sell several different brands of it. Plain old cheap Jiffy Seed Starting Mix at $4 a bag works fine.

On the videos I had watched some of his videos a while ago the dense planting looked like something I might try next year :)

His how to transplant video is the one I was referring to so be sure to watch it when you get a chance.

Good luck with your plants. You'll know within 24 hours if they are going to make it or not.

Dave

• bhoneycutt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well they still seem alive :) and actually i used the 18oz cups lol and filled them up to the top before I saw your reply. But i did drill the holes at the bottom. So I guess we will see what happens lol I ended up getting a seed starting mix from wally and it was very light weight stuff so the roots should have no problems growing in it. Thanks for all the help. Next year I will be doing a lot different ;) its a learning process for me hehe