Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rain_frog

frost protection for cool season vegetable seedlings?

Rain_Frog
13 years ago

I planted the following seeds: snap peas, chives, onion, boy choy, spinach, carrot, radish, and Chinese broccoli (Kai Lan). I planted garlic cloves and seed potatoes.

Everything except the potatoes (which are in pots for stacking the dirt higher) is in the ground. From reading, I planted everything at the correct time-- mid March for Zone 5.

However, I'm confused whether or not I need to protect the seedlings. So far, only the bok choy has sprouted. There is a light freeze (28 degrees) predicted this weekend, and I'm not sure if its necessary to cover the seedlings with something or just leave them be. My seed packets say "plant as soon as the ground can be worked." Other websites say for spinach and Gai-Lan: 6-8 weeks before last frost. Meanwhile, I read in my local garden center's catalog that cool season veggie seedlings should be protected from frost, and some websites say that bok choy should not be planted until frost is gone.

I'm really confused who, or what to believe honestly. I tried looking around gardenweb but can't find much information except people using low tunnels to warm the soil a few degrees at night.

Comments (3)