Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
warm/cool bulb lighting

Posted by akeller420 none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 23:14

I only have a few small trays that I'm starting and I have one 4 ft fixture with a warm bulb and cool bulb. Should I rotate the trays or anything so one half isn't under the cool bulb all the time and the other half isn't under the warm bulb? Or does it really not matter/does the light equally disperse to both sides? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: warm/cool bulb lighting

Rotating is always a good practice. The ends of the bulbs generally don't put out as much light as the centers, so that will help keep them as close to even growth as possible.

Light intensity drops off with distance rather drastically (Intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance), so the cool bulb's light isn't really getting to the side under the warm bulb side as much and vice versa. I don't think you need to rotate them daily, but at least weekly would be a benefit (or certainly won't hurt anything). I normally rotate mine every 3 or 4 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here