Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Moonflower Seed Sprouted

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Yesterday when I checked on the process of my moonflower seed, I saw it sprouted! I checked it again today and the white sprout got even larger! It might not be too much longer until I put it into a pot.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (12)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Nice Brad!

What method did you use to germinate it?

Keriann~

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keriann,

I used the moist paper towl in a baggie method. It took a while but it worked! I'm going to use it with my other moonflower seeds!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Congrats, Brad! I really like that method for some of the larger and slower/more difficult to germinate seeds. I have far less problems with rot and mold and there's no poking around in dirt constantly to see what's happening with the seeds.

• Started_with_bean
    14 years ago

Great! 7 days isn't bad at all, especially since you didn't nick the seed. Those are some tough coats to break out of.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

The only time I ever opened the bag was to check on it. Now that it's sprouted, should I leave the bag open to let the seed get good air circulation?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Get it right into soil and under lights.

The high humidity of the bag will encourage dampening off.

Keriann~

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keriann,

I don't have any grow lights or the space for them. Will a south or east facing window work instead? What should I use for support? I have some bamboo stakes I could put in a pot.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I guess it will have to.

It may get leggy/ large distance between leaf nodes but they should be okay in the most sun you can get them in, indoors.

I like using wire for my young vines because I can wrap them around it and keep them closer to my lights and under control. And in the spring I can just pull it off without breaking off leaves or damaging the stem. Bamboo would also work, it just takes up a lot more space.

One CFL (twisty bulb) would really help. Can you get one of those in a table lamp and take the shade off?

I would put it in a conatiner no larger than 4x4 for right now. The transplanting will encourage root growth by stunting the top growth, you can keep the soil temp warmer and water more regulated in a smaller container (don't forget to bottom water and moisten the sterile soil before you transplant it in any container). Then pot it up into something larger when it grows 12-18".

I hope that helps..

Keriann~

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keriann,

Whoops! I already put it in a 8 inch (I think that's the size) pot with three bamboo stakes. There's no leaves yet, just a little white vine sprouting from the seed. I planted it this side up as I can't tell if it's a root or vine.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

It should be okay, just keep a close eye on it in a 8" pot.

Plant the 'tail' coming out, down... that is the root : )

I would plant it so the bean is just below the surface of the soil and the 'tail' is pointing straight down.

Keriann~

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keriann, thank you!

I did just that after reading your post! I just barely covered it with soil. The tail is downward but not straight down. Should it still be okay?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Good to go, the root will figure it out. As long as it is covered you are in the clear.

Sometimes we all get caught up in a 'perfect' situation. Mother nature has been germinating all of these seeds without our help since the begining of time. Plants are pretty tough, they mostly wither due to our doing or under-doing.

Your guy should do fine.. a bit lanky but it will catch-up once the weather warms and you get get it outside.

If you don't see the seed break surface in 2-3 days, brush the light layer of soil away so it can peak out. It may have to be misted if after a few days of breaking soil it emerges with a 'helmet' head with the bean shell not falling off.. or I always just pick it off VERY carefully as not to damage the stem. You can tell after a few days to a week if the seed leaves are struggling to break the shell off.

Congrats again!

Keriann~