Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c2399

Blackberry Lily Seeds

c2399
12 years ago

Do you have to cold stratify blackberry lily seeds? This is my first year starting anything but zinnias and I am lost! :/ I tried to research online and many places are saying yes--anyone know if this is true or not and for exactly how long? Want to get them sprouting ASAP since it seems I'm behind on this (just got them), however from what I'm reading I'm going to need a lot of patience!

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• rockguy
    12 years ago

When in doubt, stratify. They look like grass when coming up so be careful you don't weed them out. I used to have a clump of the plants and saved seeds one year to plant but I just don't remember if I planted them fresh/dry/stratified, sorry I can't help more.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

No, they really don't need it. On the other hand, if you did want to sow outdoors it won't hurt them either, will just slow down germination until temps aren't quite so cool.
    Belamcanda chinensis (blackberry lily) , Surface sow or barely cover at 68F (some light may be beneficial to germination) under constant humidity, germination slow.

You might add this database to your bookmarks/favorites for referencing future seeds - It's one of a few with reliable suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothiers

• nhardy
    12 years ago

Yes, they look like iris. Dad grow this from seed from Parks years ago. They looked like irises but the flowers.

• c2399
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! That is good news (no stratifying).

Thanks for the picture gardenweed. They look cute! I'll try planting some tomorrow.

Morz8 - thanks for the link to Clothiers. Is there another database that is reliable besides Clothiers? I'm a little bit unsure from your post if you are saying that Clothiers is reliable or if there was an additional link or name that you also meant to post. The Clothiers link may save me from a lot of posting---I got a bunch of different seeds in an exchange that I'm not sure what I need to do with.

Thank you!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'm not sure any are quite as complete as Clothiers, and the articles below the database categories are helpful too.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/ (the format changed a couple of years ago and I can't navigate this site as quickly now :) but information is sound)

For propagation of all types included growing from seed, well illustrated, well written - you might look for a copy of Making More Plants by Ken Druse. His suggestions are often for freshly harvested seeds as opposed to purchased dried seeds like you might buy commercially (and will sometimes have developed a deeper dormancy in the drying).
    Between Making More Plants, and the Clothiers site there is rarely a seed I can't germinate. Occasionally I will have to go to propagation notes from Explorers Garden by Hinkley - the books by Druse and Hinkley are out and on my desk at all times though so you can always ask if struggling to find particular plant/seed :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Out of print T&M database, also reliable