Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouts!!

Posted by aquawise zone 4 Utah (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 23:45

I have Hosta sprouts!! I had given up on them Until I read a post by a lady that said no matter when she planted hers they did not sprout until late March to early April. So I thought what have I got to lose! Well I was shocked to see sprouts in the flat Today. I am "SO" glad I waited.
???????? is what do I do now? I know to wait for the second set of true leaves, Do I up pot them or put them into the ground where I want them to grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouts!!

Too early and cold. Mine although all sprouted will keep them in until First week of May,

o
RE: Sprouts!!

Hosta is easy to grow from seed but they're slow growing. I winter sowed hosta seeds last year and got great germination. They got almost 2" tall before going dormant for the winter. That's too small (in my mind anyway) to plant out since they'll be too easy to forget about and (for me) to step on. I potted them up to gallon size nursery pots and kept them on my shaded breezeway for the summer. I'll decide whether or not to plant them out this year depending on how large they grow. Aren't they the cutest little sprouts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here