Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kniphofia germination

Posted by dahlia_guy Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 07 at 23:46

I recently bought seed of 14 obscure species of Kniphofia from South Africa. I a trying to decide weather I should start these now under lights or sow them outdoors. Any ideas? Thanks

Travis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kniphofia germination

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 14:45

Travis, a little hard to answer without knowing which - and could be hard to answer even knowing if they are really obscure.

Many kniphofia are native to S Africa, some can be thought of as alpine. I don't find any information for kniphofia to suggest a cool moist period first is the way to go.

Druse states Fresh Seed (can I assume yours has been allowed to dry), light outdoors spring thru summer or indoors 70o, 6 weeks before last frost.

Clothiers, followed by ORGS, would seem to agree that if no germination in about 20 days from sowing warm, a moist chill of approx a month may be helpful.

I hate to give you inexperienced advice if these were hard to obtain seeds, but I think if they were mine I'd start indoors, and move any containers that may not have germinated outside in early April.

o

They seem to transplant easily, so if you've got a setup for indoor sowing, I'd go that way, or in your climate outdoors in cells or pots with some kind of protection against downpours.

o

Thanks for the responses.
These are the species I have, does anyone know if any of them require special conditions seperate from the others? I think I will start them indoors now, if I don't have germination by the 1st week in April I will chill them for 4 weeks then put them outside in a semi covered frame. Thanks

albascens
augustifolia (AKA rufa)
baurii
bruceae
hirsuta
ichopensis
linearifolia
multiflora
northiae
praecox
ritualis
rooperi
sarmentosa
typhoides

o

How long does it take red hot poker to germinate??

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 08 at 11:11

Average germination time for Kniphofia uvaria @ 70-75F is 10 - 20 days

o

Boy hopefully they will sprout soon. We have several started up in cells and cups outside. Thanks for the help!

o

Hehe update. I just check outside this evening after not checking last week. THE SEEDS HAVE SPROUTED! How exciting :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here