Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Golden Chalice Vine, From Seeds.

Posted by aveo5 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 0:07

well i manage to get my Sensitive plant seeds to sprout, and some other difficult seeds. BUT this is my first time that I have ripe seeds of my Golden Chalice Vine. If anyone knows about this tropical vine, it has a huge cup shaped flower in the fall, that has an incredible aroma to it. I can root it easily from cuttings, but now I have seeds. I got to the seedpod, before the birds!

Is there any special way to get these seeds to germinate? Or are they just 'normal' seeds. And I can use my Saran Wrap method to get difficult seeds to germinate? OR are they difficult seeds and not worth the effort? I would love to get a lot of seedlings and plant them all by my fence and have it cover my fences with these plants, cuttings would take forever to cover the fence....but seedlings would be faster. The plants grow like weeds here and flower every year, but even if I had to wait a year or so to get flowers, at least it would be on all of my fence, and then one fall night, I will be surrounded by huge fragrant buds and bursting into huge fragrant flowers. Any hints? Or should I stick to rooting cuttings>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Golden Chalice Vine, From Seeds.

Solandra spp. I have many notes on propagating using cuttings BUT the only note I have is .... lightly cover with soil . soil temperature for germination 61-66F

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 11:01

If cuttings are easy for you, they will grow to mature blooming plants faster than seedlings....

o

But with the few hundred seeds i have, i can get a few hundred plants,fast, and cover my fence in Golden Chalice vines,....I can only take so many cuttings from my one plant. So...with seeds, I can plant them along the fence and get coverage fast,blooms in a year or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here