Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no idea how to plant winter squash seeds

Posted by maxlife92 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 0:11

This my very first garden and the rest of my plants I am buying as starter plants..which I also have no idea his to do but my question right now is how do I plant the seeds I just revieved from johnny's seeds? They are organic kabocha. Seeds and I have no idea how much room to give the whole plot,how many seeds in each hole.,how deep.,far apart.,if they need a support,or how many sausages to expect. ??obviously any advice would be great. Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no idea how to plant winter squash seeds

Kabocha is a vining squash and while the central part of the plant will be approx. 3' in diameter, the vines will get 5 to 6' long (or longer depending on the soil fertility and growing conditions) so it needs plenty of room.

Squash is normally planted in a small hill of soil with a shallow trench around the base to hold water and lots of space around it with 2-3 plants per hill. Make the hill 6-8" tall, flatten and smooth the top, plant 4 spaced seeds in the top and then save the best 2 plants after they sprout. Water and feed the plants well and monitor closely for squash bugs.

How many squash (sausages???) you will get all depends on how fertile your soil is and how well the blooms are pollinated. Many of us hand pollinate regularly to insure good production. There is a FAQ here about how to do that.

Check out all the pics linked below of the plants and be sure to check out the discussions on the Pumpkins & Squash forum here too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Kabocha squash pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here