Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
time to transplant again?

Posted by njitgrad NE NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 0:12

I transplanted my tomatoes and cukes to 16 oz cups last week and now they tomatoes have sprung up to be about 4-8 inches in height. Do I need to transplant them again considering I am about to start hardening them this week? How do you know when? Is there a rule of thumb? What will happen if I just leave them?

As it is, I am running out of room under my growing lights and I am doing a round-robin scheme for exposing my seedlings to the growing lights. Is this the point where I start picking out the weaklings and only give the healthiest looking ones the lights to grow under?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: time to transplant again?

4-8" ? no you shouldn't need to transplant them again. Are they root bound? Do they need to be soaked every 2-3 days, if so then maybe, but usually at 4-8 " a 16oz cup is just fine.

And sure - if you have more plants than you are going to use, and no one to give them to then you might as well cull some of them now, just to save the work.

o

How do you know when? Is there a rule of thumb?

Agree with mandolls. But no there is no "rule of thumb". Just as with watering it is when the plant needs it not by the size of the plant.

And you know when by the fact that you have to water them more and more often to keep them from drying out and drooping. That is the sign that the plant is getting rootbound in its current container.

Dave

o

what i did, and i have a large area for indoor growing, is cut off the top, and replant into 1 gallon grow bags, with the entire stem buried up to the top 2 leaves. now the entire stem will sprout roots, and you get a really husky "seedling" - you just really need adequate indoor lighting to do this - :) - paul m.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here