Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agtjenny24

starting Peppers/Tomatoes from seed now

AgtJenny24
12 years ago

Obviously this is the first year I'm growing from seed... have radishes, lettuce and chard starting up in containers in the back... and well I only just decided to get peppers bc I saw black/purple peppers on a website and decided to order the seeds... so hopefully the seeds will arrive this week, and I will make a mad dash to grow out pepper plants and try to transplant sometime in June... am I crazy? lol...

From what I've read, I probably won't be able to get too many harvests... but I intend to speed up germination by paper towel method then put under some shop/table lights... the seeds I got all say 75 day maturity so I assume there's still a chance, if not, I'll remember to try earlier next year. Weather in NYC has been quite weird lately, we didn't even have snow this winter... so maybe I'll get a longer growing season this year.

Ironically, I think I started my zucchini seeds just a tad too early... hope the rain these past few days didn't make the seeds rot in the container >.Any suggestions/tips I can do at this point other than hope?

Comments (6)

• ohsillyme
    12 years ago

Put the seeds on some type of heat source to aid/speed in germination...do you have a seed heat mat? If not, maybe a heating pad will do, but that could get too hot - maybe on low with a layer between, like a towel or som'n. If the top of your fridge is warm, that might do.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

AgtJenny24 - you might want to read through the many FAQs written here on all the basics of seed starting. Lots of good info there for beginners. They are linked on the front page of this forum but I direct linked below for you.

Pepper plants are slow to grow from seed so the usual recommendation is 8-12 weeks prior to your plant out date. So yes, very late for this year. Why not buy plants this year and save the seed you ordered for next year?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

• luvahydrangea
    12 years ago

I agree with Dave, buy plants and save the pepper seeds for next year. Its WAY too late to start them.

• gjcore
    12 years ago

A few years ago I direct sowed pepper seeds around May 15th here in zone 5 and they did pretty good though the harvest was mostly all at once at the end of the season so there is hope.

If you do buy pepper plants I would look around at a few nurseries. I'm not all that impressed with the peppers I see at the nurseries around here. 2 inch pots, frail looking stems and lighter green leaves, probably going to need at least a week to harden them off.

• AgtJenny24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pepper plants around here usually come from big brands even nurseries around the area aren't real nurseries. So there's nothing special about the pepper plants, just run out of the mill bell peppers. If I wanted those I'd just go to the supermarket. I'll maybe use a seed or two to try and save the rest for nxt year

• penguinsrock09
    12 years ago

I know there are a lot of guidelines and rules out there but rules are meant to be broken.

Last year I started pepper plants indoors but when it came to planting in Mid May I noticed I had a few extra containers in the shed. So in I popped some pepper seed. I was able to grow black peppers as well as Jalapeno peppers before the season was out. Yes the ones I started indoors produced much better. The ones directly planted took a long time to grow and only started to produce much later in the season but never the less they had peppers.

If you have the extra space then give it a try. If you're limited for space then I wouldn't suggest this route becasue you'll produce more with transplants.