Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lettuce leaves turning yellow

Posted by gardenerwannabe6 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 0:50

Hi,
I planted leaf lettuce in 72-cell tray on March 7. They were inside under the lights for 12 days, then I moved them to the coldframe. For the last week they've been mostly outside. The last couple of days have been extremely windy, so I've made sure they always have water in the bottom tray so they don't dry out. I've tried to shelter them as much as possible from the wind.
Today I noticed the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. Have they been in the tray too long? Do they need fertilizer/nitrogen? I'd already have them in the ground by now, but the beds aren't quite ready. Maybe too much water??? I don't really ever let them dry out and always keep water in the bottom tray.
Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lettuce leaves turning yellow

You should let them dry out a little, if they are constantly soaked it will cause them to yellow and rot their roots. They could probably use some fert. but be sure to start out with a dilute fert solution, so not to burn their already tender root system and you can even wait to do this until a little while after you plant them out. Also, if they are put outside to quickly and not hardened off properly then you could run into problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here