Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spidermancivic

Transfer or fertilize petunia in peat pellets

spidermancivic
13 years ago

I'v always bought tidal wave petunias at the nursery, but, this is my first year sowing them. This is also the first time I sowed in the jiffy 72 pack peat pellets and now they have all germinated with two leaves after a week after being sowed. I just took the clear dome cover off today and keeping them under 2 t8 shop lights 16 hours a day. The only concern I have is that the petunias are extremly fragile right now. I know the peat pellets do not have much nutrients in them, so,I figured these are my options:

(1)Fertilize them a dilluted mix of 20-20-20 fertilizer, until the roots are more developed into the jiffy peat pellets, then, transfer.

or

(2) should I just transfer the peat pellets into jiffy peat pots with miracle grow mix now?

or

(3) Just leave them alone and hope what ever nutrients in the peat pellets are sufficeint to allow root and leaf to develop before eventually transplanting.

What have some of you been doing with sowing petunia in peat pellets?

Comment (1)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

They don't need any fertilizer right now until they develop more leaves. Right now they have tiny little roots that couldn't take in fertilizer anyway and you will do more harm than good fertilizing them. Wait until they have their second set of leaves and then fertilize with a weak solution. Just after transplanting time is a good time to give them their first weak 1/4 strength fertilizer.

I am not a big fan of peat pellets or jiffy pots. You are going to have to be careful you don't overwater now that they have sprouted. Get yourself some colored plastic, paper or foam cups and punch holes in the bottom for drainage if you don't have pots.

When they have their second set of leaves then peel off the outer covering of the peat pellets (it won't decompose) and transplant. If you do use the jiffy strips, peel it off too before you set them outside.