Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Remove Heating Mat Question

Posted by veriria 5-6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 2:19

Hi there,

So, I go through these periods where I take up new hobbies, and of course my newest one is growing plants. Now, I haven't done this since I was a kid, and my plants always got that dreaded fungus/mold and my plants always died. Not so, now!

I've haphazardly planted seeds purchased from my local hardware store, with the oldest "seedlings" being about two and a half weeks old. I have been using a seed tray which came with a heating mat, and I have two CFL lights - a warm and a cool one -- that I have set on a timer to be on 18 hours a day.

I still have the heating mat set to come on and turn off as the lights do -- but I'm wondering a) should I leave off the mat now, and b) is 18 hours of light too long for the seedlings? The wire shelving all this sits on is next to probably the only window that lets in a decent amount of sunlight for any good period of time so they also get a little natural sunlight (it is the ONLY south facing window :/) I also have a fan that circulates the air 24/7.

They seem to be thriving. A few seeds didn't sprout at all but I have tomatoes, peppers, chives, lettuces, broccoli, and other random things sprouting. For funsies I even planted a "early sweet sugar pie" pumpkin plant, and boy I tell you that thing grew all crazy like, and very very fast! I may actually plant that outside, as our frost date is towards the end of April!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Remove Heating Mat Question

I am not an expert in these things but I tell you what I am doing. The heating Mat is removed or turned-off as soon as I see any sprout. I have home made green house (not a fancy one) In the Basement I several tables and old desks with flourcent lamps hanging from the ceiling. I have over 100 4 Inches plastic pots with good drainage put on plastic plates. I leave, may be one foot between the lamp and the Plants. As soon as the pot sprout I move it from the heating Mat. I read if you leave it on the heating mat it will grow long leggy and thin. As for growing lights I leave 24/7. From my observation Tomato, Cuccuumber, Squash are growing like crazy, Pepper Egg plant are growing but very slow.

o
RE: When to Remove Heating Mat Question

Thanks for the reply. The only time a few of my plants went spindly was when I went on vacation for four days, and they tried to reach for the sun outside of the window because the person watching my house turned them off. Otherwise, they are doing well. But I'm going to turn the heating mat off since it seems that from what I've read elsewhere (and here on the forum) suggests doing so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here