Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
undercover_owl

Has anyone grown Bacopa flowers from seed?

undercover_owl
14 years ago

You know, the main ingredient in hanging baskets. The drooping annual with tons of little white flowers.

I can't really afford upwards of $3 for each 4" pot of bacopa.

I have never seen packets of Bacopa seed, either, though.

Comments (10)

• appaloosa909
    14 years ago

I saved seed one year, TONS of what I thought were seeds... I got 2 spindly plants that didn't look all that much like what I grew the year before.

I saw Bacopa seeds, both the white and "blue" in the Thompson and Morgan Catalog.

• goblugal
    14 years ago

There is a 'Bluetopia' and 'Snowtopia' Bacopa available commercially from seed. The flowers will not be as large as some of the cultivars produced vegetatively, but they aren't bad.

• undercover_owl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I wonder how the nursery distributors do it!
    Must be a trade secret.

Well, at least there is hope to grow Bacopa from seed, then.
    But they may disappoint...

• amna
    14 years ago

Interesting - I'm growing both snowtopia and blutopia from seed this year. Didn't know about the flowers being smaller, sad. Plan on planting them into my hanging baskets tomorrow. Let's see what happens. Would love to hear if anyone has had experience with either of these varieties.

Amna

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Bought two healthy looking plants yesterday to put in my hanging baskets and also will try root cuttings from them. If successful, will have plenty of plants for next year without the expense.

• goblugal
    14 years ago

Rooting them from cutting is how "the nurseries" do it. Until two years ago, it was the ONLY way Bacopa was propagated - no big trade secret. Amna - they will be fine in your hanging baskets - you probably won't notice much difference.

• undercover_owl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, goblugal!

So I assume the cuttings are rooted in the fall before the plant dies?

Is Bacopa a perennial in warmer zones? If so, I wonder if you could somehow overwinter Bacopa to come back in the spring, in say, zone 8?

• narm_rn
    14 years ago

I grew bacopa last year from the T&M seed. Lovely. Put the hanging basket in my unheated greenhouse over winter.. and to my surprise it did winterover and is in full bloom presently in Zone 5

• hopscotch_2010
    10 years ago

I grew the blue bacopa from seeds this year. I got them from Ebay. They are tiny little seedlings, but almost all of what I sowed in the house under lights grew. I put some in a hanging basket and some in a pot with other plants. Both were in full sun from 7 am till about 8 pm. They are still in full bloom. I'm going to try bringing them in the house for the winter in the next few days as it supposed to frost.