Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammyyummy

Successful germination but dying sprouts

sammyyummy
12 years ago

Hi. I'm new here and to gardening. Recently I sowed zinnias and cosmos and germinated successfully. After the sprouts grew to about 1 inch, they began to lean sideways then eventually wilted. I place them on windowsills with good sunshine, not to severe, and good air circulation. No pests or molds. I monitored the soil and kept it moist. I'm on my third batch and they are beginning to do the same. Please help. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Sounds an awfully lot like what is called 'damping off', a term we use to identify any number of fungal disorders that result in the death of seedlings. But the problem could simply be cultural.

The causes for seedling death can be complicated...sort of like putting a jigsaw puzzle together; if one of the pieces is missing, we don't get the whole picture.

Excess moisture is the most obvious explanation. Is it as simple as watering too frequently? The consistency of the potting medium can also come into play...some are so slow to drain that the medium stays saturated for long periods of time, which suffocates (literally) the root system of the seedlings.

Most seedlings grown on sunny window sills don't receive enough light, especially if the plants are full-sun species. The stems become elongated (leggy) and weak and exceedingly prone to collapse. Were your seedlings leaning sideways to reach for the sunlight? I think that you will find that most of keep our seedlings under a lighting system until they are ready to be placed outside.

Can I assume that you don't have these plants on a heat mat? Seedlings need to have the heat mat off as soon as they germinate.

If you give us some more information, perhaps we can be of more help. What kind of propagation mix, containers, lighting set-up (if any), heat (if any), etc.

• sammyyummy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi.
    I've watered them frequently using a spritzer making the surface moist but I think underneath it isn't moist. I'm afraid to over water and don't know what the proper way of watering is for zinnias and cosmos. My questions are:

My seedlings are in small pots. How much watering is sufficient? What is the proper way of watering ? A way to find out if I'm watering it sufficiently?

What to do after the seeds have sprouted: can I place them outside for a full on sunshine or do I wean them via the windowsill? Etc

Thanks.

• noinwi
    12 years ago

Where are you located? If your weather is warm enough you could start the seeds in their permanent spot outside.

• sammyyummy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I figured I was being extremely cautious wi watering . I watered more judiciously and all my seedlings have grown well. I do belong to the almost tropical climactic zone.

Now, I'm faced with what I read as thinning out and transplanting. How do I thin out properly and how do decide which ones to thin out? I feel very sad at the thought since all my seeds have sprouted healthy. Also, when do I transplant? What does first true leaves mean?

I'm so happy with my output I wanna try chamomile and lavender.

• Mariy Necro
    8 years ago

What's your zone? Im in zone 12-13 and chamomile and lavender do amazing here.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting