Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.

Posted by bpmontilla none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 7:19

Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the Philippines. I have seen zinnia grow here very well. I get really disappointed while planting zinnias by seed because they grow so lanky, and so feeble.

When I grow them, I just basically put some soil in the pot, put the seeds, and then lightly cover the seeds, then I water. But after a few weeks, they grow too high but too lanky and then they just basically lie down and eventually die from i dont really know what.

Could someone please help me? What am I doing wrong and how can i make these zinnia seeds grow and become flowering plants? :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.

• Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 11:37

I'm a novice too, so take my advice with a grain of salt- it sounds like they're not getting enough light.

o

after a few weeks, they grow too high but too lanky and then they just basically lie down and eventually die

Causes: not nearly enough sun/light, over-crowding, too warm/too much heat.

Dave

o

Put them in full sun and fertilize them with Miracle Grow, full strength. Pinch the tips off when they have about 4 true leaves...this will make them produce side branches with more flowers. Space the plants about 8 inches (20cm) apart. Pick off the dead flowers so they will keep producing more flowers.

o

I replanted the other seeds i still had in a paper egg tray and put it in my windowsill facing the east. They're looking nice even if they're still small. Is it advisable to plant zinnias facing the east?

o

these are my zinnia which were wintersown April 8, the picture was taken April 20. As you can see they are not lanky, bec. they have been outside and so have plenty of light. you can go to the winter sowing forum on gardenweb for full directions. It is very easy, and most plants have great germination.

ellen

o

I'd go with not enough light. I started two zinnias in January when playing just playing around. They were both stocky and healthy, until I killed one with overwatering. The other is still doing well and blooming.

I'm planning to start a bunch soon in 3" pots to transplant out in summer.

o

Hi! Can I do wintersowing here in the Philippines?

Anddd, The ones I planted on the egg tray, some of them withered out because i forgot to water them ONCE! Its so hard. :( But they looked like they were growing great. Like I said, I put them on the windowsill on the second floor so they could get sunlight from sunrise to 12pm. Is that fine?

o

Hi, im jason from philippines too, im a beginner on zinnias too. i started 20 days ago but unfortunately, the same happens, it is too leggy and weak.

I was told that it lacks of direct sunlight, i already got a tip from a pro with zinnias, he said that in able to start zinnia successfully it will need at least 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness, to achieve that, you may use full spectrum t8 florescent light directed to the plant for four weeks before transplanting them outside.

I will try to germinate another seeds tomorrow and use different method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here