Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When and how to move seedlings to cells

Posted by neuf 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 7:43

This being my first attempt at growing from seed, I am looking forward to my next step. As the picture shows, I started the seeds in a community. My intent is to move them into the same soil mix (sphagnum peat and vermiculite) in plastic cells. What is the best way to handle them as I transplant them and when should I do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When and how to move seedlings to cells

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 10:29

What are they? Seedlings of what? Makes a big difference as to when and how. At that size in the picture (closer pic would help) they are too tiny to do anything with now.

Dave

o

They are Coleus and I understand that they are too tiny. The purpose of the photo was simply to show that they are just now germinating and in what conditions.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 20:38

Coleus are slow growing so you have plenty of time. Once they develop some good sized true leaves they will be much easier to handle for transplanting. You could do it at this stage but it is easy to injure them if you aren't experienced at doing it.

When the time comes have your cell packs already filled with damp mix, use a pencil or similar tool to poke a hole in each sell, pop out each seedling with a small spoon if you don't have the tools normally used, and frop it into the prepared hole. Firm up the soil around it lightly.

I normally transplant coleus in clumps so if you end up with more than 1 or 2 in each cell that is fine. Google Images has lots of good pics on 'transplanting coleus'.

Dave

o

I would suggest adding some coarser materials to the mix when you pot them up. If that mix is actually just vermiculite, spagnum moss and peat moss, it is really going to hold water. I have had even larger coleus rot at the soil line if kept to wet. Mix in some pearlite, or pine bark fines for better drainage.

o

• Posted by neuf 5 Indy (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 13:09

Thanks for the comment mandolls. I just bought a bag of pine bark mulch per tapla's suggested 5-1-1 mixture. I am afraid my soil is too damp and I am hoping I can make it through to the transplant into cells without rotted roots or damp off!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here