Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlbecker_gw

Something eating planted seeds

mlbecker
13 years ago

My husband and I are from the Cleveland, OH area and are new to growing plants from seed. We built a small greenhouse last fall and last weekend we planted four flats of a variety of pepper plants. Yesterday morning I noticed that it appeared some of the seeds were no longer buried in the soil and you could see where something had dug them up and perhaps were eating them. Thinking it might be a mouse we set two mouse traps and this morning the traps were picked clean of the bait and unfortunately they did not get caught, so I guess we'll set them again to try to catch whatever is eating the seeds. My question is should I take the chance and see if anything comes up, or can I just re-plan the seeds again, or should we wait to try to catch whatever is eating the seeds before we waste more seeds? Anyone have this problem? Are we correct in assuming it is a mouse? Any guidance/response would be appreciated of people who have experienced a similar problem. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

If my greenhouse had openings to let in mice or rats, I would not be able to use it as a greenhouse. Are you unable to close yours? Al

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Where there's one mouse there's more...and more...so if you wait to see what it is, you'll never get anything planted. A really good trap is the Tin Cat. You put the bait inside and the mice go in, but they can't get out and it holds quite a few. Then you take the trap somewhere to the woods or away from your house and pop the top open...and repeat as necessary, which you would still have to do with a trap that kills, but this is less messy(I just personally have a problem killing the little devils). You can also try covering your flats temporarily with plastic(poke holes on top for venting)or tulle netting. Mice can chew through either of these, but it might buy you some time while the plants germinate(and maybe place some birdseed somewhere to divert their attention). Another option is to start your peppers inside, then put the seedlings in the GH, since peppers need warmth to germinate well(75-85 degrees). HTH