Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Mexican Flame Vine

susanlynne48
14 years ago

I received some seed of this vine and just wanted to know if there is any special treatment needed to grow this vine from seed. Has anyone ever done so?

Susan

Comments (7)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

No luck here with seeds bought from Ebay or seeds from my plants. The person I bought my seeds from actually sent me starts because the seeds didn't germinate. I still have seeds in a pot from last years plants but still nothing. I have managed to root several cuttings to keep them going all winter and can take more. They wont survive outside through winter in your zone but rooting cuttings is fairly easy.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

I don't know how helpful, but floridata says -
    Pseudogynoxis chenopodiodes (syn Senecio confusus)...surface sow, warm (70-80), germination may be erratic.

That seems in line with Senecio in general...Surface sow or barely cover as light may be beneficial to germination, 75F

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both for your responses. I bought my seed from an Ebay seller, too.

Was the botanical name changed recently? I had always known it in the past by Senecio confusus. Have those onery taxonomists been at it again?

Susan

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

I may stubbornly stay with Senecio. I can't pronounce Pseudogynoxis chenopodiodes.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Well I thought the name was still Senecio confusus but that seems to be the (out of date scientific name) now. lol I will always call them Senecio confusus. It is much easier.
    If you can't get them to germinate, I might be able to hook you up with some cuttings. I have several going that are spoken for now but have plenty of vine to cut some more. You can email me from my member page. follow the Vs
    V V
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\V

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I've collected seed from my plants several times and have never been able to get any to germinate. I don't even know if they are viable as they are so tiny but the cuttings root very easily.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will see how it goes first. I do recall something that I read on the Internet when searching for info about germination, that very few seeds are viable. Don't recall why.

I am also starting seed of the red Tecoma, but from what I've read they appear to be much easier.

May take you up on the offer for a cutting, but will first see how the seeds do.

Susan