Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do roots develop on buried stems?

Posted by janny 3b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 8:01

Of course I know this is true of a tomato! I have also always transplanted pepper seedlings deep, but do they really develop roots on that stem? I've never really checked. So this year I'm planting a few veggies I've never grown before, such as eggplant,cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. I researched on this sight and found that it's o.k. to pot up these seedlings deeply too. So I'm wondering if these plants really root out on the stem. Do they or is this just a good tranplanting tip? Thanks, Janny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do roots develop on buried stems?

They do on woody stem plants - those whose leaflets sprout directly from the stem itself. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, trees, etc.

But they don't from those plants whose leaflets sprout directly from the core, root ball. They don't normally have stems anyway until quite late in life - like lettuce when it bolts - and many flowers normally grown in low clusters.

Cabbage, broccoli (most varieties), and cauliflower are example of plants that fall in the "stemmed but not a woody stem" category. They can be transplanted deeper than lettuces and such but not as deeply as woody stem plants.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here