Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old bag of pro-mix bx

Posted by allsmiles (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 8:24

Hello, I am new to germinating from seed and found an old compressed bale or Pro-Mix BX in my shed, and was wondering if I should still use it. I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago, and has been in the shed ever since (including winters). I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario, so our winters are not too bad.

The compressed bag is still intact (never been opened), but it is so old I am not sure if it would still actually work as a seed starter, or if I should just use it as topping in the garden or compost it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old bag of pro-mix bx

The bag of Pro-Mix may be used wut will be HART to re-hydrate

o

The people at Pro-Mix actually responded to my question as follows:

"Due to the age of the product, it would be fine to mix it into the garden versus using it for starting seeds. As this product ages certain chemical additives breakdown and are no longer effective; i.e. wetting agent (now product is hard to wet), fertilizer charge (no longer present) and possibily the limestone has been activated (reducing it's effect on pH). Therefore, mixing it into soil is the best alternative. The peat moss, perlite and vermiculite in the product will help the soil be more porous and allow better drainage. "

So I guess I'll have to buy new...unless anyone actually has experience with 5 year old BX.

Thanks for any help!

o

I had sone 9 month old Pro-Mix BX with Biofungicide and it had lost its anti-fungus properties after that time, and I could see mold growing on the surface of my seed starting mix, whereas with a new bale of the same stuff I see no mold and never get any damping off problems.
I am guessing after a year one of the other kinds they sell, Pro-Mix BX with Mycorize, the beneficial fungi would probably be dead
So lesson learned, don't buy more Pro-Mix than you can immediately use in the next few months, and be careful how you store it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here