Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Support for Malabar Spinach

Posted by poisondartfrog 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 8:35

How sturdy does the support for this need to be? The seeds have germinated in the gh, now I've got to find a place for them in the garden.
I have cart before the horse issues.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Alana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Support for Malabar Spinach

It's a very fleshy plant- not heavy nor that strong. In the tropics (where I lived once) we simply let it grow on the ground without support, but if you prefer to use a trellis, a bamboo support will do.

o

It likes to sprawl but I train mine upwards. I start it on a trellis and then let it grow onto the top of a wooden fence. It won't grab on it's own and needs to be tied. I think the red variety's stems might be a tiny but thicker then the white one. Have you eaten it? I don't mind the taste but can't get past the texture. It's slimy like okra but the berries are ok in salads. The berry juice from the red variety will stain anything it touches so be careful. It's used as a natural purple dye.
Karyn

o

Thanks, both of you! That helps a lot! I had visions of having to build a massive structure.
No, I have not eaten it and I am not sure I will try it, especially after that slimy review. I can't handle okra, but I like the way it looks. Maybe this will be the same.
Alana

o

i had malabar but i don't know the kind, do you know the kind you have? if its red??i want to get both kinds if i can, LOL maybe when mine has seeds this fall/summer we can swap seeds?? :')) i got mine from grovespirit, i guess i should mention that LOL :'))

o

Hi Medo,
Mine are from a commercial pack. The photo on the pack has red stems so ostensibly it will be a red one. I'll try to save some for you.
A

o

haha. Lovely to look at, but hate the texture too.

o
what is eating my malabar spinach leaves..or is it deficiency?

http://picasaweb.google.com/preetha.mahadevan/LeavesAndDiseases#5445502354938654658

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here