Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coeng

question about pelletized annual seeds

coeng
11 years ago

Yesterday I received my annual seeds (nano geraniums, petunias, dahlia mix, angelonia mix, lobelia, and nicotania) and planted them in cell packs right away.

Some of the seeds were pelletized, which I had never seen before (I'm a newbie to seeding).

Some questions regarding the seeding process:

1) The instructions said to press them into the soil but not cover them. Doing so seemed to smash them apart. My fingers were yellow from the coating of the seed. Did I actually only uncover the seed from its colored coating and not damage the seed itself?

2) When the instructions say to "not cover them", I assume this means you should still be able to see the colored seed on top of the soil surface.

3) How many seeds should be planted per cell? This was my first time ever so I think I may have overdone it (except for the larger seeds). Some seeds were so tiny there was no easy way to prevent spillage.

4) I have my heating mat thermostat set to 75F and I covered my the flat of my 72-cell pack with a cover that has vented holes. I also have my T8 fluorescent light fixture (not a growing light, just a workshop light) a few inches above the cover. Are these the right growing conditions? I understand that light will aid in germination of these annuals.

5) After germination, should the seedlings get 16 hours of light per day as I do with my veggie seeds?

6) As they grow do you thin the seedlings out like you would for cukes/tomatoes and other veggies?

That's all for now. Thanks!

Comments (3)