Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should seedlings remain on a heating mat?

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 8:57

All my veggies germinated a few weeks ago and since they been growing at a decent rate. My garage temp varies between the mid 50s and mid 60s depending on outdoor temp.

Should my seedlings be under a heating mat still?

Also I've been watering (from underneath) my veggies whenever the soil seems dry. The exception has been that for the tomatoes I've been doing it less frequently because I understand they don't like water that frequently. So when their soil seems dry I wait an extra day or two before watering.

All of my seedlings get 16 hours under the grow light from 4pm to 8am.

I will post some pics tonight to see if I'm where I should be at this point in time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should seedlings remain on a heating mat?

Never. Lots of discussions here about how heat mats are for germination only. Once germinated they can quickly kills roots.

Seeds need heat to germinate but seedlings require cooler air temps for growing. The ideal growing range of air temps for seedlings is 60-65.

Dave

o
RE: should seedlings remain on a heating mat?

Oops. Wish I read this reply two days ago. Will promptly be removing them from the heat mat today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here