Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bellpepper seedling leaves turning black

Posted by shutteringfocus none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 9:05

These seedlings sprouted about 10 days ago. They are in root riot cubes.

I've only been watering them. I have not used any food.

The leaves on some of the bell peppers have started to turn black.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Also should I be using some sort of food for these little guys?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bellpepper seedling leaves turning black

It is called "purpleing" and is primarily a nutrient uptake problem due to their young age and immature or stressed roots.

At this stage of growth the plants have not yet developed the fibrous feeder roots they need. They only have what are called "water roots" (tap roots) so they are totally cotyledon-dependent for nutrients. If they are kept too moist those roots are stressed and the plant begins to develop what appears to be a phosphorous deficiency - thus the discoloring.

In my tests of them I have found that root riot plugs tend to stay too wet. It is difficult to maintain the proper moisture level with them.

To eliminate that problem pot them up into potting mix. I trim off as much of the cube as possible without doing any root damage. Use scissors. Then pot them up. That will trigger fibrous root development.

Once they are potted up and settled - give them a day or so - then a well-diluted to 1/4 strength liquid fertilizer feeding. Keep in mind that peppers prefer to dry out between waterings. They do not like to be constantly moist.

Hope this helps.

Dave

o

Thank you so much that's very helpful. The route right cubes produce germination so fast, but I have noticed that they stay very wet.

Thank you
Zach

o

I would not worry about it. I have experienced that often with pepper plants. They have always turned to a nice dark green before long, and always go on to do well, barring plant murder, accident, or natural disaster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here