Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Unfortunate News

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I checked my cup and saucer vine seeds yesterday to see if they were viable and some had of that damp off mold on them :(. Plus, one of the cup and saucer vine seeds were broken. I think my delphiniums suffered the same fate. It's been almost a month since I planted them and I haven't seen signs of life yet.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (6)

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Brad. I have absolutely no luck with delphiniums from seed, which is sad because they are one of my favorite flowers. From all the delphinium seed I sowed this year, I have one surviving seedling that seems to be doing well in the garden. I vow that some day I will be successful at growing delphinium! But not this year... :)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, sleepy.

I have other seeds I can try growing in my little electric greenhouse. Morning glories and moonflowers, cosmos, Mexican sunflowers, snapdragons and bachelor buttons.
    Is it too early to start some of these? The moonflower seed that I did with the plastic baggie/paper towel method is growing nicely but isn't too large.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Honestly, in your zone, I'd direct sow all of those, except maybe the snapdragon. It's actually a bit late to start the snapdragon, but they'll catch up. I've already sown cosmos and bachelor buttons outside, and I'm a zone colder than you. :)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did plant seeds already but they were just sunflowers. It's still getting into the 30's or 40's at night here and it was down to 30 degrees last night. Yet,seeds are hardier than plants! I'll just use the paper towel/plastic baggie method for the rest of the seeds and start the snapdragons in the little GH.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• soozeesully
    14 years ago

where r u at Brad?

I got some great hits on my Moonflowers, I have 22 seedling resting on my desk as I type, Im just not sure I trust my soil for them.

I have to do some more reading in here, but I think Ill pot them vs. planting them in the ground. I feel like I have more control over their welfare that way. Im a dork that way. :)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Soozeesully, I'm in Central PA and I live in a valley out in the country. It's beautiful here but it can get very cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. They're calling for thunderstorms tommorrow and a chance of snow on Sat! Mom and I direct sowed some seeds today. I did morning glories this morning and cup and saucer vines just a few minutes ago. I did moonflowers too but I'm starting them in a plastic baggie with a moist paper towel.
    I did an experiment earlier with a single MF seed and it worked. I may do more next week.

Brad AKA Moonwolf