Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hlily_gw

Crossandra Infundibluliformis

hlily
16 years ago

I just got these seeds from Park seed. I tried them a couple of years ago with no luck at all. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any pointers will help. They come just 5 seeds to a pack!

Thanks

Hlily

Comments (9)

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I had good results with them last year in the greenhouse just covering the seeds and using bottom heat to germinate. Germination was fairly quick-7 days or so. It took 11 weeks to get a blooming plant.

• hlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks poisondartfrog. I am encouraged. I will sow them this weekend and post how they do.
    Hlily

• hlily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I planted 10 seeds on the 20th. I just saw some white
    ?root growing from one seed. I am encouraged.
    Hlily

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Congratulations! I am curious. Which variety did you grow? Mine was Tropic Flame. Even though I harvested seed last year I overwintered two of the plants in the house where they really never stopped blooming. They are on their way back outside now.

• hlily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I do not know what variety it is. I got it from park seed and it only says crossandra infundibuliformis (what a mouthfull) on the packet. I assume it is orange in color. I have seen red,yellow,orange and green varieties.

BTW there is something hapenning in 4 more seeds. So 5 out of ten are showing promise. It is exciting.
    Hlily

• hlily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to post an update. Nine out of the ten sprouted and have at least one pair of true leaves. I am waiting till the second pair comes out in all the seedlings and then I will transplant. They are growing slow but our weather has been unusually cool till now.
    Hlily

• hlily
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update:
    The plants are growing slowly - they are about 4 or 5 inches tall but now I see that each have at least one stalk with the buds. I am hoping to see flowers soon. My timing appears to be similar to poisondartfrog's to get a blooming plant.
    Hlily

• threas
    15 years ago

Hlily ,
    Did it bloom?

Theresa

• dorne
    11 years ago

I wish you had carried on with this thread as ive just ordered some seed.