Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temperature Range for Hardening Off

Posted by davemichigan zone 6a SE Michig (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 9:23

Is there a temperature range to start the hardening off process? I do know about the gradual acclimatization, but I don't know when to start taking the seedlings out.

TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temperature Range for Hardening Off

It would depend on the seedlings you are growing. Cabbages can go out in cooler temps than tomatoes and so on. What have you got?

o

Hi Flora_uk, thanks for your reply. Sorry I haven't been checking because the temperature have been cold anyway....

I have some marigolds, celosia, and salvia. According to the seed packet, I can start them outside now (since we have past our last frost date). Does that mean I can harden my seedlings off now? Or could it mean that I don't have to worry about hardening off and can move them outside directly since there won't be any frost anymore?

The weather forecast says for the next 10 days, the minimum is 41.

o

For my maters, if nights get below 55 or it's going to storm, it will be too much for them & I bring them in. For the peppers, nights below 60-65 are when I bring them in. My first set of mater & pepper plants have now been outside for 3 days & are doing great! Gotta bring them in today though. We're getting that storm front that hit the midwest with all the tornadoes & such today through tomorrow night, so temps are supposed to drop to the high 40's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here