Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to thin out seedlings?

Posted by lucilleclifton Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 9:40

Hello-

I am wondering if/when I need to thin my seedlings to 1-2 strong plants per pot. In the case of Butterfly Weed, Parsley, and Leek, for example, I have anywhere from 4-8 little plants growing up in my 3" square jiffy pots. Should I snip them back so only 1-2 plants remain? When do I do that? Right now most plants only have 1 set of leaves.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to thin out seedlings?

nost aafter 1st or 2nd set of TRUE leaves form....

o

Wait until the first or second set of true leaves form and then you can separate them into individual plants in individual pots. Unless you don't want that many plants then you can pinch them off now. Leave a couple per pot.

o

What about leeks? Will they develop more than one long grassy type leaf?

o

"What about leeks? Will they develop more than one long grassy type leaf?"

That one long leaf is the plant. They will grow more, and some of the lower ones will turn yellow and wilt, but they all grow from the same base, not in a rosette or anything.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here