Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplants Failing

Posted by safaribabe 16 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 9:41

I love starting plants from seeds. I have an indoor mini greenhouse and lights. Germination is great.... plants get really strong.

I have NO patience for hardening off. I have to work on that one....

But once the hardening off is done, some of the transplants just don't thrive. I have planted a few things recently that I started from seed and when they failed and I pulled them up, there was no root growth and the plant was still contained in it's "shape" from it's seed pack.

Any ideas why? This just happened on some Boc Choy, sunflowers and peas. Husband suggested that the soil is too cool but it's pea season here so they should have done fine. The plants are not root bound before transplanting and they are getting plenty of water (nor too much).

This is also happening in various earth mediums... some in my raised beds, some in the ground.

It's soooo frustrating!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplants Failing

If they had no roots, then they weren't ready to transplant. To help, you need to provide a complete accounting of your seed starting process, including each step you take, how long they spend at each step, etc. Also include your zone, I don't think it's 16??

o

Yeah are you a California/Sunset 16 zone? Otherwise location would be a big help and as Sleepy said much more info.

Based on info so far it could be something as simple as lack of patience. ;) Once transplanted things don't just zoom off - they sit and pout for days. Did you use peat pellets or peat pots? If so did you strip off the pots and/or netting?

What is your soil temp running - not air, it's irrelevant - but soil? Next most likely source of your problems is too much water. Especially when you say things like "plenty of water". That's a red flag!

No one ever thinks that are watering too much - but they are.

Need more details please.

Dave

PS: Why would you be planting sunflowers and peas at the same time? They are very different season items.

o

Well, learn something new every day! I had no idea about these sunset zones. Lots of zone learning for me lately! :)

o

Yep many in the west use the Sunset zones instead as they are more specific to the various regions. Last I checked I think the zone numbers run up into the 30's - maybe more.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Gardening Zones

o

I am perplexed this is the first time I recall reading about sunset zones. Looking at the website given I am in zone 41. I always wondered why I chose to wait till May 10th to really plant summer items and now I know.
This is something I will have to look into some more out of curiosity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here