Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best seed mix for peppers

Posted by salsa_montana MT (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 9:53

I've read a lot about how hot pepper seedlings do not care much for peat. I also notice that most seed starting mix contains about 95% sphagnum peat moss. Can anyone tell me what they have used for starting hot peppers that worked well? I don't want to use anything with vermiculite due to association with asbestos contamination.

I did start some pepper seeds with MG Organic potting mix and they germinated quickly with heat mats and domes, but some plants eventually developed green goo and others developed white mold on soil. I've finally gotten that under control and suspect the mold was mostly due to soil being too wet under the domes. Some trays were not affected by mold, but all were affected to some degree by the green goo (algae?). I'm not sure MG Organic potting mix is considered a "sterile" seed starting mix and am interested in trying something else for my next batch, but again, leary of mixes with high peat based on what I've read. Are my fears exaggerated? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best seed mix for peppers

I only use pro mix for everything. It is expensive to buy in small bags but if you get the3.5 cubic foot of compressed mix it is around $30. It will do you for years if you keep it in an enclosed container. I use new garbage pails with tight fitting lids to store mine. Pro mix does have some peat,but it also has coconut fiber. It is the best soilless mix around.

The trouble with peat is it holds on to moisture and when it dries it becomes like cement and is hard to rewet.

You had them too wet if you had mold and your green goo. That green is from the acidity of peat. I mix crushed egg shell in mine to sweeten the soil.

The domes are only a germinating aid and should be removed when the seeds sprout. If you don't you can run into too wet pots, mold and damp off. Besides seedlings need air circulation to grow right

o

I've read a lot about how hot pepper seedlings do not care much for peat.

Never found that to be the case and start 100's of peppers for sale each year. More likely the grower was over-watering - which peppers won't tolerate - and since peat, once wetted, can retain too much water, that was the problem.

Like oilpainer we use ProMix BX for starting everything, peppers included. We have also used plain old Jiffy Mix a couple of times when we ran out of ProMix. MetroMix 360 is another good one. You can also use plain coir mixes for peppers with good results if you want to avoid peat.

Dave

o

Thanks! I appreciate your input.

o

Where do you guys buy Pro-Mix?

Well I am sure you use a wholesale vendor, but where should I look for it? Does a specific box store carry that brand?

Keriann~

o

Can't help you with locating it Keriann except that the ProMix website has a dealer locator on it you might try. We buy ours in bulk bales wholesale from a greenhouse supplier but I have read in other forms that it is also sold in smaller bags. Just don't know where. Sorry.

Dave

o

• Posted by adamark 5 W Chicago subs (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 0:13

I bought mine (small bags) in Menards ($5.99, I think it was on sale)

o

kerriann:

I buy my pro mix from my local greenhouse nursery--one that grows it's own plants, but sells other garden related things too. I just got a bag yesterday. You might try one in your area. I know they do sell it in smaller bags but the cost is out of this world compared to what I pay. I'll bet if you do some calling around you would find it. I've also seen it for sale on line.

o

I use MG potting soil/Perlite/Sand for just about everything. I mix in different ratios depending on the individual plant. For peppers my ratio is 4/2/1. They might do just as good in a 4/1/2 ratio but I fear that 2 parts sand might hinder the drainage some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here