Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
was it too early...

Posted by bosewichte 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 10:00

Since we've been having warm days in the 60s and 70s and our last frost date is next week, I decided to put my annual flower seeds in the ground (zinnias, cosmos, sunflowers, larkspur, etc.). I'm fretting, though, because it's still in the 40s and night, and some nights even dipping down into the upper 30s, although there's no danger of frost.

Do you think my seeds can germinate in those conditions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: was it too early...

Yes it will just take them a little longer since the soil will have cooled back down. Only real threat is excess wet soil that could rot them or a frost after they germinate.

Dave

o

Ugh...and rain today and tomorrow, with cool temps, before warming up to the mid-70s next week. Oh, well, I can always reseed.

o

actually as long as it isn't a deluge, a day or two of rain will be just the thing. It will give the ground a nice deep yet 'soft' watering which is a perfect start.

I planted my carrots and beets a few days ago, knowing we had a couple days of rain ahead.

But yes overly hard or extended rain is not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here