Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NONE of my seeds are germinating

Posted by PearceN NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 10:01

I'm kind of at a loss here and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I live in central NC. In January we started 144 seedlings of various veggies in our seed starting trays and kept them evenly moist and warm. Once it warmed up enough, we put the flats in our greenhouse on the deck during the day. They did great until we had a really windy day that knocked over the greenhouse and sent our flats to their doom. All of the little starts died.

Not to be discouraged, I started 144 NEW seeds 3 weeks ago. Again, various veggies. 72 are tomato varieties, the rest are cucumbers, peppers, tomatillos, etc. As of now - 3 weeks in - NOT A SINGLE SEED has sprouted! I'm at a complete loss as to what I'm doing wrong. I don't profess to be a gardening guru, but I've had my own garden for about 5 years now and I've started from seed since the first year. I've never had an issue at all - I've never had one single seed NOT germinate in 5 years!

I need suggestions - PLEASE! It's getting late enough that I'm afraid I may not have a garden at all this year! Thanks in advance everyone. I truly appreciate any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NONE of my seeds are germinating

Where are you starting them? Inside or out? My first thought would be they are too cold.

o

Are you still keeping them evenly warm and moist as you did the first time? Tomatoes normally germinate in the right conditions within a week. Al

o

Outside during the day and inside at night - they probably fluctuate anywhere between 65-90 degrees depending on the weather, the location and whether or not they are in the greenhouse or have covers on. On particularly chilly days/nights I either put them in my (very warm) laundry room or on a heat mat. They are either misted or watered every 2-3 days depending on how dry the soil has gotten. Never has soggy soil, never totally dry.

Seriously, I'm stumped. The seeds are the same seeds that I used for the previous flats that were destroyed so I'm reasonably sure that nothing was wrong with them... IDK. I think I may just give up and buy plants this year.

o

The cukes should germinate in a few days. I'm assuming that you covered the seeds with soil. Have you tried digging any of them up to see what the seeds look like? I would suspect that in order for NONE of them to germinate, you either cooked them, or something ate the seeds (mouse, bird)

o

Great illustration of reason #2,3,4 or 5 of why I germinate my seeds in baggies on paper towels. Easier to open up the baggie and look than to dig up seeds in starter mix to see what is going on.

o

I would guess that if you had them covered outside with plastic in the sun, then you probably cooked them. I have done that before in the greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here