Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Seedling Question

Posted by philsno1 pa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 10:25

Hello, newbie here, I read on this forum a lot and now I'm finally a member. Anyway, I planted some tomato seeds in peat pellets a few days ago and I have some that have sprouted. I followed the packets instructions and put about 3 seeds per pellet. Problem is that all of them are sprouting. My question is at what point do I remove the weaker two seedlings? Should I do it now or wait awhile longer? I have a picture of it but I don't see an option to post a pic, thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Seedling Question

here is a photo

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P24r8cHqwULIHa77EoJSlQght0UmRyKP-xP9CHtUyAg?feat=directlink

o

Ouch ;-)

Quick.... Get those seedlings under better / brighter lights..

You can cut them anytime, I still haven't cut mine yet,I'll wait until I transplant out into the garden ,just to make sure which is stronger.... You , on the other hand, cut the long tall ones.... they are way too long (from ,not enough light) if you are using a fluorescent light fixture,the seedlings should be touching the bulbs (or as close as possible),you do not want tall seedlings (they are the weakest ones, cut them..

4-18-2010

o

I agree with John. You need to get your light much closer to them so they will be stocky.

After they set their first true leaves then you should plant them up to those leaves in another container before you plant them outside in a few weeks. Make sure you cut off the netting when transplanting them into larger containers and keep them on the dry side and bottom water.

You will have great maters in a few weeks : )

Keriann~

o

In your case I think I would cut off the long , first to germinate seedling NOW. Get the light right down close to the soil and do not put the plastic back on. You have been given good advice. Al

o

Update, I have transplanted the seedlings into bigger peat pots burying the stems and went out and got a grow light kit. I now have the lights directly over the plants. I'm still unsure of how much and how often to water. Thanks for the responses.

o

Boy, I'd sure check out the FAQ here if I was you. I hope you didn't spend much on your 'grow light kit', a $10 shop light from Home Depot would've done. See FAQ for more details and watering info, or search for many past discussions.

o

Hi Phil,
Make sure your lights are touching the seedlings (if not touching,at least as close as you can get), and they will do fine ;-)

Water whenever they are dry,more trouble comes from overwatering ,than from underwatering....

Peppers 3-14-2010

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here