Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

Canary Bird Vine? (Tropaeolum peregrinum)

msbatt
12 years ago

Any suggestions on germinating these seeds? Same question for Thunbergia alata.

Comments (4)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

MSBatt, I have tried and TRIED to germinate the canary bird vine seeds, with NO luck. If you find out, come back and tell us what you learned, please.

• mytime
    12 years ago

I've never had a problem germinating them...I just pour some on a piece of sandpaper, put my hand over them and roll them around...then soak them for a couple of days and plant. I've seen some websites that say "most seeds germinate in 6-8 weeks." I think they must mean 6-8 days. In my notes I have written that it germinates better in the dark, and at a temp. of 70 degrees. And your post reminds me that I'd better get some seeds and get those started before I leave for a couple of weeks! Then they'll be all ready to transplant when I get back.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I only grew these once and had no trouble. I just sowed them in pots of compost (seed mix) on a windowsill in the kitchen then transplanted outside. I didn't soak or scarify them. I was a student at the time so definitely had no heat mats, propagators etc.

• msbatt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I'm beginning to think I had some bad seeds---the second packet is germinating MUCH better. Or possibly my first ones just weren't warm enough.

And once they do come up, stand back! (*grin*)