Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I sterilize the pots

Posted by foolishpleasure 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 10:34

From almost 100 plants I have two died. The way thay died it looks like a fungus because the stem was eaten away at the soil level. I stopped watering and has an electric fan blowing air. Looks like the fan is doing good job because things are drying up. I will make some transplanting to save the situation. I sterilized the potting soil I am going to use in the microwave for about 25 minutes. I have old beaten up Polypropylene pots I use from year to year. Should I sterilize these pots too. I saw two weird looking pugs on the squash they are gone in the flush. Is some fungicide or insecticide advisable. The area is completely controlled environment with enough lights.
Abe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I sterilize the pots

rince pots then soak in chlorox it helps. fungicide firs (including heat &/or chlorox) the prime insect that will eat stem at soil level would fungal knats. if found then use soil drinch insecticide.

o

I am using now captan to drench teh soil and it seems it is working.

o

It sounds like damping off to me. I do use a sterilzed germinating mix for starting seeds, and there is never any harms in sterilizing pots and equipment. As long as any chemicals you use (bleach, etc.) are completely washed off.

o

I gave up the sterilization routine after the first couple of years. If I have a problem with damping off it is my fault for not watching the growing conditions close enough. Too warm and/or too moist, with too little air flow promotes damping off. Fungus is everywhere, learn to live with it, by NOT providing the conditions it needs to flourish. Al

o

Al - I am relieved to hear some of the experienced gardeners dont bother to sterilize. I didnt even wash mine. They were in the garage all winter so at least -20 degrees. I was hoping that that would kill anything. I just shook out any older soil that was still inside and planted them up. I did use fresh mix. And while I got a tiny bit of damp-off on a couple of things, I dont think it came from the un-sterilized pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here