Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging Plants Without Pots

Posted by creativeguy Zone 6 Connecticut (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 10:36

A picture is worth a thousand words on this one! I've been tasked with creating a set of hanging plants without pots(!) for my office. Anyone have any ideas? Really, I think any kind of plant at all would do... it's probably going to come down to which plants will actually put up with this nonsense! I think my employer has some sort of ivy in mind, but I think it could easily be a different plant if one lent itself to such outrageous behavior. I'll need to "dress" the root ball in some way to make it as clean a spherical shape as possible... ideally I guess it'd be nice if the root system was dense enough to trim into a ball yet still hold enough of the soil(less?) planting mix. I envision either misting or dunking as a means of feeding/fertilizing/watering the plants. Maybe start seeds in a "bag of dirt"... something like pantyhose perhaps? Then when roots are established enough to hopefully hold soil remove the bag? I suspect I'll have to wrap it in twine to really hold the shape, but I'm curious as to how far I (we!) can push the envelope. How about it? Anyone got ideas? Up for the challenge? I've never grown anything you can't eat, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out with this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging Plants Without Pots

Horticultural catalogs carry the clear, green, and brown plastic netting and the Sphagnum moss to contain the root ball for making these if interested.

Or it is even cheaper to buy the moss and a small roll of the plastic fencing and make your own. Lowe's and Home Depot carry both this time of year and color of the netting is the only limitation.

Plant selection needs to be limited to those with the same light and water needs otherwise you have to water 'something' almost daily. And they will still need at least weekly attention for trimming, deadheading, etc. to maintain appearance. I recommend using purchased 'houseplants'. The small 6" pots of them are inexpensive and easy to ball up.

As an alternative consider one of the so-called "living wall planters". Linked an example of one type below but there are many. Scope out all the various pics attached to it for ideas. They can be attached to walls or hung suspended.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Living wall planters

o
RE: Hanging Plants Without Pots

They are very cool looking, especially that last picture, but they must take constant maintenance and clean up. Are you also tasked with daily care taking?

If a perfect sphere is a requirement. You could start with a hollow rubber ball - cut off the top - pierce holes for drainage and air, and then hide it in sphagnum moss and netting. It would also contain the dirt and water better, keeping it from dropping all over the office floor. It would actually be a "pot", but not recognizable as one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here