Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creativeguy_z6_ct

Hanging Plants Without Pots

Creativeguy_z6_CT
11 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words on this one! I've been tasked with creating a set of hanging plants without pots(!) for my office. Anyone have any ideas? Really, I think any kind of plant at all would do... it's probably going to come down to which plants will actually put up with this nonsense! I think my employer has some sort of ivy in mind, but I think it could easily be a different plant if one lent itself to such outrageous behavior. I'll need to "dress" the root ball in some way to make it as clean a spherical shape as possible... ideally I guess it'd be nice if the root system was dense enough to trim into a ball yet still hold enough of the soil(less?) planting mix. I envision either misting or dunking as a means of feeding/fertilizing/watering the plants. Maybe start seeds in a "bag of dirt"... something like pantyhose perhaps? Then when roots are established enough to hopefully hold soil remove the bag? I suspect I'll have to wrap it in twine to really hold the shape, but I'm curious as to how far I (we!) can push the envelope. How about it? Anyone got ideas? Up for the challenge? I've never grown anything you can't eat, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out with this!

Comments (5)