Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Poppy Seed from Herb Market

Posted by tuscanseed (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 10:46

Has anyone tried sowing the blue poppy seeds found in grocery stores or small food markets? I've sown poppies but never the ones used for spices. Of course I don't want to pass up an opportunity for viable growing seeds at dirt cheap prices, if this would work. I happened to be in a store which sold a lot of unusual spices for ethnic dishes and there were some bulk bags of blue poppies. The gardener in me thought flowers and not bagels...lol. Experiences on this one? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Poppy Seed from Herb Market

requires a cod period (40F for 4 weeks) then cover the seed as darkness required for germination. soil temp 65-75F taking 10-14 days to germinate. growing on temp (day) 50-55F germination to transsplant 4-8 weeks.. 13-15 weeks to flower. Ideal pH 5.8-6.8

o

Thanks George. I do know how to sow them, but I'm wondering if they are viable seeds to begin with to sow, and has anyone even succesfully grown the blue poppy herb seeds. Do you have first-hand experience with these specific seeds? TY

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 13:45

If you mean Persian blue aka breadseed poppy aka papaver somniferum from the spice aisles of grocery stores, yes they do germinate. The one year I sowed from a spice jar though, I found the bloom colors mixed, pale and not especially inspiring - I buy named seed if I'm going to sow annual poppies.

If you were looking for the true blue perennial poppy, meconopsis, you won't find it in edible spices.

o

The herb name comes from the color of the seed NOT the flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here