Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leafy Petunias

Posted by hudsonvalley_zone6a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 11:01

I started growing petunias from seed back in late Feb. While they are growing well, I've noticed that there are no flowers yet, just tons of leaves! Last year, I grew nasturtiums from seed and they never flowered, only leaves. I'm afraid my petunias may be headed for the same fate. Any suggestions? Is it normal for petunias to be very leafy? When should I expect to see flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leafy Petunias

Most plants will not flower inside under regular shoplights. If you had special, full-spectrum (expensive!!) grow lights, you might could get them to bloom. But, once they move to sunlight, you should have blooms.

o
RE: Leafy Petunias

Sleepy is right. Most plants don't flower inside. They also don't usually flower until they are mature enough.

What kind of fertilizer do you use and how often do you use it. A fertilizer that is high in nitrogen--the first number on your fertilizer box-- will make lots of nice lush green leaves and few if any flowers. Use a balanced fertilizer like 15-30-15 or one that has all the numbers the same and only use it about every 2 weeks. Nasturtiums in particular don't need much fertilizer.

Don't feel you are alone. When I was a newbie, the first year I grew nasturtiums I had a lovely dark green bush of leaves and not one flower. Now I get lots of flowers. It's all about learning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here