Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenoe

tomatoes from seed

greenoe
13 years ago

I HAVE A SMALL GREENHOUSE IN WHICH I HAVE IN THE PAST STARTED ALL MY VEG SEEDS FOR MY GARDEN AND FREINDS (DIDN'T KNOW I HAD SO MANY FREINDS)THIS YEAR I WAS APPROUCHED BY A LOCAL NURSURY ABOUT GROWING TOMATOE PLANTS FOR THEM. I DELIEVERED THE FIRST PLANTS TO THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY SAID THE ROOT SYSTEM HAD NOT DEVELOPTED PROPERLY.THEY HAVE BEEN STARTED SINCE THE END OF FEBUARY. THE GREENHOUSE IS HEATED AT 70 DEGREES.I WATER THEM FROM THE BOTTOM WITH A WATER AND MIRICAL GROW SOLUTION.THE PLANTS LOOK GREAT. IS THERE SOMETHING I AM NOT DOING CORRECTLY?

Comments (9)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Yelling & Screaming!

Mike

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Green
    How about take the Cap off on your keyboaed. Some people get offended by that style. As for the root thing I think those people who are buying your plants want some discount.

Abe

• luvahydrangea
    13 years ago

I agree with Abe, on both counts. :)

• greenoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know it might be nice if you guys would try to answer the question and stop trying to be cute.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

It is a little late now, but you should have had an agreement with the buyer as to his requirements. I doubt there was any thing wrong with your plants. They just did not suit him for some reason. I would not reduce your agreed price. If he won't take them as agreed I would give them away to friends, rather than being taken advantage of. Al

• greenoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al, I felt the same way.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

You know it might be nice if you guys would try to answer the question and stop trying to be cute.

Excuse me, I try my best to be nice and helpful, but not when someone is yelling at me. My apologies if you just got a computer and have only been on-line for a couple of days. It has been considered rude to use all caps for at least the 20 years I've participated in forums.

Mike

• deannac
    13 years ago

Greenoe, I'm in Central FL, I start my seed, all heriloom, in late January using a Jiffy greenhouse in a southern window.

By the time they've developed their 2nd set of true leaves, I bury 80% of the plant in a 6" nursery pot in a mixture of either coir and garden soil or, if I have it, "Wonder Soil". I add rock phosphate to the hole (it can touch the roots) each time I repot or replant, depending.

Rock Phosphate develops STRONG roots. Burying the plant pretty much as deeply as you can, will ensure a monstrous root system as toms develop roots all along the stem.

I had a fairly large Roma snap in half in a storm last week. It's fine, I just dug down, planted it (already had the RP in from the first planting) to the bottom set of leaves, and voila! Big fat roots AND blooms! Not sure how that'll work out, trying to bloom and make new roots at the same time...

Anyway, rock phosphate's cheap. You can use bone meal which is also great for roots, but the phosphate is like a power booster when it comes to veggies.

Hope that helps.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Yes I am cute. You listened to me and took the cap off.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living